Wednesday, November 09, 2005

On the taxpayer's dime

In Tuesday's election, Brownsville voters defeated 12 of 14 changes to the city charter, including one that would have raised the pay of city commissioners.

However, since 2000, Brownsville's elected leaders received benefits not provided under the charter. According to the Brownsville Herald's Sunday story, taxpayers forked over $200,000 in insurance premiums -- and the politicians can't even come up with a good excuse for it:

Asked to explain the change that was made during his term, [former Brownsville Mayor Henry] Gonzalez said, “I don’t remember how that happened. Really, you’re talking about a long time ago.” [...]

“I never would have supported it. It was a group deal, and everybody got it — I think,” he said. [...]


“I don’t know what to say to you, man,” [Current Mayor Eddie] Treviño, a local lawyer, said. “You caught me off-guard. I really don’t know what to say, but it is my understanding that these benefits were established by legal counsel and authority.”

Nice tap-dancing, fellas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home